Through this article we intend guiding you valued investorsâ€™ on how you should approach your investments during inflation times.
Primarily, while making fresh investments, or evaluating your existing investment portfolio in inflationary times you need to be cognisant about:
How interest rates would pave their path going forward; The real rate of return; and Post-tax yield on your investment In case if you are deriving a negative real rate of return on your investments , those investment avenues should be a strict â€œno-noâ€. It is noteworthy that the real rate of return refers to the return which one obtains after accounting for inflation rate. To quickly calculate the same, one can use a simple formula which is:
Nominal Rate earned on the security- Inflation rate
Top 10 Valued Companies To Buy For 2015: Tupperware Corporation(TUP)
Tupperware Brands Corporation operates as a direct seller of various products across a range of brands and categories through an independent sales force. The company engages in the manufacture and sale of kitchen and home products, and beauty and personal care products. It offers preparation, storage, and serving solutions for the kitchen and home, as well as kitchen cookware and tools, children?s educational toys, microwave products, and gifts under the Tupperware brand name primarily in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, the Asia Pacific, and North America. The company provides beauty and personal care products, which include skin care products, cosmetics, bath and body care, toiletries, fragrances, nutritional products, apparel, and related products principally in Mexico, South Africa, the Philippines, Australia, and Uruguay. It offers beauty and personal care products under the Armand Dupree, Avroy Shlain, BeautiControl, Fuller, NaturCare, Nutrimetics, Nuvo, and Swissgar de brand names. The company sells its Tupperware products directly to distributors, directors, managers, and dealers; and beauty products primarily through consultants and directors. As of December 26, 2009, the Tupperware distribution system had approximately 1,800 distributors, 61,300 managers, and 1.3 million dealers; and the sales force representing the Beauty businesses approximately 1.1 million. The company was formerly known as Tupperware Corporation and changed its name to Tupperware Brands Corporation in December 2005. The company was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in Orlando, Florida.
- [By Johanna Bennett]Corporate earnings took a back seat today to the Fedâ€™s latest policy decision. Still, quarterly financial results, and other news sent shares of McCormick & Co. (MKC) and Tupperware (TUP), falling during regular market hoursÂ Hereâ€™s a rundown of several of todayâ€™s moves:
- [By John Kell]Among the companies with shares expected to actively trade in Wednesday’s session are Dow Chemical Co.(DOW), Tupperware Brands Corp.(TUP) and Yahoo Inc.(YHOO)
- [By Ben Levisohn]Shares of Herbalife have gained 0.9% to $79.51 this morning in pre-open trading. Its shares have gained 139% this year, a nice gain, but lagging Nu Skin Enterprises 271% rise. Avon ProductsÂ (AVP), another multi-level marketer, has gained 21% so far this year, while Tupperware BrandsÂ (TUP) has risen 49%.
- [By Monica Gerson]Tupperware Brands (NYSE: TUP) is expected to report its Q3 earnings at $1.03 per share on revenue of $623.34 million.
Varian Medical Systems (NYSE: VAR) is projected to post its Q4 earnings at $1.12 per share on revenue of $779.02 million.
Top 10 Valued Companies To Buy For 2015: Schlumberger N.V.(SLB)
Schlumberger Limited, together with its subsidiaries, supplies technology, integrated project management, and information solutions to the oil and gas exploration and production industries worldwide. The company?s Oilfield Services segment provides exploration and production services; wireline technology that offers open-hole and cased-hole services; supplies engineering support, directional-drilling, measurement-while-drilling, and logging-while-drilling services; and testing services. This segment also offers well services; supplies well completion services and equipment; artificial lift; data and consulting services; geo services; and information solutions, such as consulting, software, information management system, and IT infrastructure services that support oil and gas industry. Its WesternGeco segment provides reservoir imaging, monitoring, and development services; and operates data processing centers and multiclient seismic library. This segment also offers variou s services include 3D and time-lapse (4D) seismic surveys to multi-component surveys for delineating prospects and reservoir management. The company?s M-I SWACO segment supplies drilling fluid systems to improve drilling performance; fluid systems and specialty tools to optimize wellbore productivity; production technology solutions to maximize production rates; and environmental solutions that manages waste volumes generated in drilling and production operations. Its Smith Oilfield segment designs, manufactures, and markets drill bits and borehole enlargement tools; and supplies drilling tools and services, tubular, completion services, and other related downhole solutions. The company?s Distribution segment markets pipes, valves, and fittings, as well as mill, safety, and other maintenance products. This segment also provides warehouse management, vendor integration, and inventory management services. Schlumberger Limited was founded in 1927 and is based in Houston, Texas.
- [By Jim Jubak]But it just doesn’t seem to matter for Schlumberger (SLB). Schlumberger is a member of my Jubak’s Picks portfolio.
On January 17, the oil services and technology company reported fourth quarter earnings of $1.35 a share, beating Wall Street estimates by two cents a share. Earnings grew by 29.8% year over year.
- [By Editor , DividendChannel.com]ENB operates in the Oil & Gas Equipment & Services sector, among companies like Schlumberger (SLB), and Enterprise Products Partners L.P. (EPD).
- [By Aaron Levitt]With a variety of oil stocks reporting full-year 2013 earnings, unconventional assets are the gifts that keep on giving for the oil service trio of Halliburton (HAL), Baker Hughes (BHI) and Schlumberger (SLB).
- [By Paul Ausick]Oilfield services giant Schlumberger Ltd. (NYSE: SLB) saw short interest rise 12.5% to 14 million shares, about 1% of Schlumbergerâ€™s float. The largest oilfield services company reported fourth-quarter results last week and posted higher EPS and revenues than it did a year ago.
Top 10 Valued Companies To Buy For 2015: Dollar Tree Inc.(DLTR)
Dollar Tree, Inc. operates discount variety stores in the United States and Canada. Its stores offer merchandise primarily at the fixed price of $1.00. The company operates its stores under the names of Dollar Tree, Deal$, Dollar Tree Deal$, Dollar Giant, and Dollar Bills. Its stores offer consumable merchandise, including candy and food, and health and beauty care, as well as household consumables, such as paper, plastics, household chemicals, in select stores, and frozen and refrigerated food; variety merchandise, which includes toys, durable housewares, gifts, party goods, greeting cards, softlines, and other items; and seasonal goods, such as Easter, Halloween, and Christmas merchandise. As of April 30, 2011, it operated 4,089 stores in 48 states and the District of Columbia, as well as 88 stores in Canada. The company was founded in 1986 and is based in Chesapeake, Virginia.
- [By Lawrence Meyers]This isnâ€™t some growing new industry set to take the world further into the 21st century. Itâ€™s an old concept that hasnâ€™t innovated, wonâ€™t innovate, and will slowly but surely die out over this century. When I walk into a Walgreens, I see a miniature Target (TGT), a more expensive Dollar Tree (DLTR), and a provider of prescriptions in a world where everything is becoming mail order.
- [By Paul Ausick]The other stock the firm likes is Dollar Tree Inc. (NASDAQ: DLTR). The companyâ€™s shares have lost about 4.6% since reporting an earnings per share (EPS) miss for the third quarter and the Sterne Agee analysts see the lower price as a â€œgreat entry pointâ€ for buying the stock. Dollar Tree raised fiscal year 2013 EPS guidance from a range of $2.66 to $2.77 to a new range of $2.72 to $2.78, effectively raising the mid-point by $0.04. Sterne Agee reiterated its Buy rating on the stock with a price target of $63. Dollar Treeâ€™s shares are trading down nearly 0.4% at $55.99 in a 52-week range of $37.47 to $60.19.
- [By Ben Eisen]Perpetually struggling department store J.C. Penney Co. (JCP) Â said it expects a sales boost this holiday season as it returns to a promotional strategy. But for the most part, retailers including Dollar Tree Inc. (DLTR) Â , GameStop Corp. (GME) Â and Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (ANF) Â gave dour outlooks in their earnings reports.
- [By Paul Ausick]Big Earnings Movers: Target Corp. (NYSE: TGT) is down 3.5% at $64.19. Sears Holdings Corp. (NASDAQ: SHLD) is down 2.9% at $59.93 on a wider loss and tepid outlook. Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc. (NASDAQ: GMCR) is up 14.1% at $70.57 indicating that investors liked the results posted after markets closed on Wednesday. Dollar Tree Inc. (NASDAQ: DLTR) is down 4.5% at $56.28. Abercrombie & Fitch Inc. (NYSE: ANF) is down 0.1% at $34.97.
Top 10 Valued Companies To Buy For 2015: Caterpillar Inc.(CAT)
Caterpillar Inc. manufactures and sells construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines, and diesel-electric locomotives worldwide. It operates through three lines of businesses: Machinery, Engines, and Financial Products. The Machinery business offers construction, mining, and forestry machinery, including track and wheel tractors, track and wheel loaders, pipelayers, motor graders, wheel tractor-scrapers, track and wheel excavators, backhoe loaders, log skidders, log loaders, off-highway trucks, articulated trucks, paving products, skid steer loaders, underground mining equipment, tunnel boring equipment, and related parts. It also manufactures diesel-electric locomotives; and manufactures and services rail-related products and logistics services for other companies. The Engines business provides diesel, heavy fuel, and natural gas reciprocating engines for Caterpillar machinery, electric power generation systems, marine, petrol eum, construction, industrial, agricultural, and other applications. It offers industrial turbines and turbine-related services for oil and gas, and power generation applications. This business also remanufactures Caterpillar engines, machines, and engine components; and offers remanufacturing services for other companies. The Financial Products business provides retail and wholesale financing alternatives for Caterpillar machinery and engines, solar gas turbines, and other equipment and marine vessels, as well as offers loans and various forms of insurance to customers and dealers. It also offers financing for vehicles, power generation facilities, and marine vessels. The company markets its products directly, as well as through its distribution centers, dealers, and distributors. It was formerly known as Caterpillar Tractor Co. and changed its name to Caterpillar Inc. in 1986. Caterpillar Inc. was founded in 1925 and is headquartered in Peoria, Illinois.
- [By Paul Ausick]Todayâ€™s big gainer among the Dow stocks was Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE: CAT). Competitor Joy Global Inc. (NYSE: JOY) reported rotten results this morning, largely due to anemic sales to coal miners. Caterpillar doesnâ€™t do a lot of business with coal companies, so thatâ€™s a plus the firm. Catâ€™s shares traded up 1.4% at $97.71 in a 52-week range of $84.79 to $98.24 just ahead of the closing bell. Volume is on track to be about 25% below the daily average of around 6 million shares traded.
- [By Ben Levisohn]Stocks failed to follow through on yesterday’s gains as lukewarm economic data kept the market running in place. Goldman Sachs (GS), Boeing (BA), JPMorgan ChaseÂ (JPM), Caterpillar (CAT) and United Health (UNH) fell.
- [By Ben Levisohn]After a dismal 2013, Caterpillar (CAT) has found some love so far this year.
AFPCaterpillar’s shares have gained 6.6% in 2014, double its 2013 gain of 3.3%, and besting the 7.7% drop in Deere (DE), the 0.4% rise in Terex (TEX), the 0.3% dip in Cummins (CMI) and the 4.5% decline in Joy Global (JOY).
Can the good times continue? Deutsche Bank’s Vishal Shah thinks they can. He explain:
We have a positive bias towards CAT as we believe investors are overly focused on the decline in resource industries revenue, which will likely trough earlier than expected in 2014, and are neglecting the significant growth opportunities within construction segment over the next 3-4 years as well as consistent execution within the power systems segment. Although we expect mining capex to decline by 55% from 2012 peak and trough in 2016-17, we believe the decline in Resource industries revenue will be smaller (down 45%) and shorter (ending in 2014). We expect the aftermarket business (25% of segment revenue) to mitigate some of the downside risk. We also expect CAT to be among the first construction equipment companies to benefit from the non-resi recovery and expect dealers to start building inventory as early as 2014.
It shouldn’t come as a surprise, then, that Shah thinks Caterpillar is going higher–much higher. He initiated Caterpillar as a Buy with a $122 price target, 25% above its current price.
Cummins and Deere, meanwhile, get Buy ratings, with price targets of $170 and $110, respectively. Buy-rate Terex could hit $52, while Hold-rated Joy Global has a price target of $57.
Shares of Caterpillar have gained 1.1% to $97.25, while Deere has advanced 1% to $85.15, Terex has jumped 2.5% to $43.19, Cummins has risen 0.8% to $141.15 and Joy Global is up 1.1% at $56.50.
- [By Ben Levisohn]Stocks are surging today following a benign inflation reading that has helped soothe investor worries over imminent Fed rate hikes. E.I. Dupont de Nemours (DD), ExxonMobil (XOM), Home Depot (HD), International Business Machines (IBM) and Caterpillar (CAT) gained.